You may be asking yourself, “What do I need to get the process going for my mortgage?” The short answer to that question is that no two mortgage applications are alike. What one person may need as part of the process, another one won’t. This checklist is a great general listing of what might be needed from you during the application process. If you have questions about what you might need for your situation, contact our mortgage team for details!
- Name(s) and addresse(s) of your employer(s) for the past two years is generally acceptable.
- For the Employed:
W-2 forms (provided by your employer(s) for filing your tax returns) for the past two years are required.
Also, pay stubs for the past month are another way that we verify income and are generally required.
- For the Self-Employed:
If you work under contract or are self employed, copies of your tax returns for the past two years are required.
- For Retired Individuals:
If you receive a pension, Social Security benefits, or monies from a 401(k) or IRA account, proof of this will need to be supplied.
- Statements for any accounts that you have (savings, checking, etc.) are used for demonstrating proof of funds for down payment.
- If you have credit cards, loans, or other types of installment payments, be prepared to provide account information for each of these. While most of this information is easily obtained from your credit report, if there is anything in dispute, you will need to provide documentation.
- Do you own rental property? You’ll need to provide a copy of the past year’s tax return (most notably, the Schedule E filing) and/or lease agreements to verify your rental income.
- Dividend/interest income can be demonstrated by providing copies of the last two years of tax returns.
- Child support, alimony, or separate maintenance income does NOT need to be reported, unless you wish to use these as a contributing factor in the application process.
- Non-reported income can NOT be used in the application process.
- Copies of your driver’s license (or state-issued non-driver ID card) and your Social Security card will be required.