Christmas by the Numbers; Nine Fascinating Facts About Christmas
- The total take for all those Santa snaps is a whopping $2.2 billion.
- The first artificial Christmas tree was made in Germany out of dyed green goose feathers.
- In the U.S. Christmas was officially declared a national holiday on June 26, 1870.
- 25 years later, electric lights on holiday greenery debuted.
- Real trees bring a hidden present. They remove dust and pollen from the air, making the season more bearable for allergy sufferers.
- The grand total of gifts given in the carol The Twelve Days of Christmas is 364.
- Diamonds are still a girl’s best friend. More are sold this time of year than any other.
- An astounding 28 percent of folks proudly admit to being “re-gifters.”
- And almost 20 percent of us do not finish up our shopping until Christmas Eve.