With gift cards celebrating a decade atop the list of the most popular holiday presents, WalletHub has released its report on 2016’s Best Gift Cards. The report compared the year’s most popular gift cards based on the discounts shoppers can find on the resale market, how well they retain their value and each retailer’s customer rating.
Best Gift Cards (WalletHub Score)
- Target Gift Card (65 points)
- Netflix Gift Card (65 points)
- Wal-mart Gift Card (60 points)
- Amazon Gift Card (60 points)
- iTunes Gift Card (55 points)
Biggest Buyer Discount
- H & M Gift Card (21.67%)
- Forever 21 Gift Card (12.87% )
- T.J. Maxx Gift Card (12.70%)
- Taco Bell Gift Card (12.46%)
- Olive Garden Gift Card (12.20%)
Most Popular Gift Cards
- Amazon Gift Card
- Visa Gift Card
- iTunes Gift Card
- American Express Gift Card
- Wal-mart Gift Card 5)
Highest Resale Value ($100 Gift Card)
- Nike Gift Card ($93.66)
- Wal-mart Gift Card ($83.94)
- Best Buy Gift Card ($83.12)
- Safeway Gift Cards ($83.04)
- Costco Gift Card ($82.67)
- The gift cards whose popularity increased the most from 2015 to 2016 are the Giant Eagle Gift Card, the Restaurant Gift Card and the Tim Hortons Gift Card.
- The gift cards whose popularity declined the most are the Fandango Gift Card, the Chipotle Gift Card and the Whole Foods Gift Card.
- H & M ($55.67) and Taco Bell ($59.27) have the gift cards with the lowest resale value.
- The year’s least discounted gift cards belong to eBay (0.74%) and Shell (1%).